Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Appeals of Advertising

The countless number of advertisements that I encounter everyday is ridiculous. When watching television, which is the medium through which I see the ads the most, I try to ignore pitches by changing the channel or going to do a chore. However, every once in awhile I'll see an ad that catches my eye as being very appealing. One recent commercial that has had this effect on me is for the 5 Hour Energy drink.

For me to be intrigued by an energy drink commercial is very rare and odd, as I hardly ever drink such a drink and I am well aware of the negative effect they have on your body. The specific commercial I am speaking of is the "No 2:30 Feeling" one. The ad takes something most people can relate to and despise, which is the sleepiness and tired out feeling one gets in the afternoon, especially during something boring like class or work. The spokesperson offers a solution to this "2:30 Feeling" problem, which is what caught my attention. Often, I feel the need for a quick nap while I am in a lecture class or even while I am working or driving. This small drink seems like an easy and effective solution to this nuisance and notions that it could nurture my fatigue and help achieve more things during my day.

The appeals of nurture and achievement are very important factors in a successful advertisement and product. After all, most everyone wants to accomplish more things during their work day and a lot of people will seek the help of a product like 5 Hour Energy to help them go that extra mile. Furthermore, if a person is very busy everyday, such as a single mother or a busy office worker, than the product will seem even more appealing to them as a nurturing tool. When tired out folks can't find rest or energy in other things, they will seek out this energy drink because it claims that it will help people work throughout the day, therefore helping them be productive and have a positive feeling.

The 5 Hour Energy advertisement depicts drained people around the workplace seek in vain means of perking themselves up, such as coffee, soda, or a candy bar. The spokesman lets the viewer know that these methods are not nearly as affective as 5 Hour Energy. Soon after, it shows the workers drinking the energy drink and afterwords feeling very energetic and positive. When I saw this commercial, I thought of all of the times I had been in those people's position of feeling exhausted and trying failed methods of perking up. I knew that if I took a nap, I would waste hours of the day and not be as productive as I should have been. This commercial tempted me to pick up this product because of it's promise that it would nurture me through my tiredness and thus, help me achieve far more than if I did not invest in 5 Hour Energy. However, I am unaware of it's actual effects because I have never actually used this energy drink.

5 Hour Energy Drink Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Sq25eToVo

No comments:

Post a Comment